questions about mitochondrial theory of aging

jubjub jubjub at jubjub.com
Sun Jan 28 03:57:07 EST 2001

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some help with a few
terms.

Heteroplasmic.  "Histochemical and biochemical studies revealed
heteroplasmic dysfunction of oxidative phosphorylation in the
patients...."

Pleioplasmic.  "amounts of complex IV subunits were markedly
decreased, together with a quite different polypeptide profile from
that of control mitochondria, suggesting mitochondrial deterioration
with pleioplasmic defects of mitochondrial proteins."

What is ADP/O ratio?  I am guessing ADP/oxygen ratio.  What is the
significance of this term?

How is oxygen uptake rate influenced by the presence or absence of
ADP?

thanks for any help

jubjub