books

Thomas Carter tcarter2 at elp.rr.com
Fri Jan 3 09:46:24 EST 2003

lagavril at midway.uchicago.edu (Leonid Gavrilov) wrote in message news:<9259eb2.0212290807.76a2438 at posting.google.com>...
> saturnerin at aol.com (SaturnErin) wrote in message news:<20021222004709.19629.00000154 at mb-bd.aol.com>...
> > Can anyone here suggest any good books on slowing down the aging process?
>
> *** Good question!
>
>  If you are looking for a book with sound practical recommendations
> based on strong scientific evidence, then there is no such book yet,
> to my knowledge.
>
> This is because of the lack of serious systematic research work on
> slowing down the human aging.
>
> In contrast to human studies, the scientific literature on slowing
> down the aging process in lab animals is abundant, see for example:
> http://www.src.uchicago.edu/~gavr1/antiaging-publications.html
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Best wishes for the New Year !
>
> Leonid Gavrilov
> Author of the book "The Biology of Life Span"
> http://www.src.uchicago.edu/~gavr1/index.html#Book

Hi Erin and Leonid,
     The papers on Leonid's link are quite good and informative as are
others on what is a very good web page. The anti-aging papers have,
however, not been updated for about a year. If you want to see the
latest ones go the PubMed site at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi  and run the search
string, Anti-aging[ti]OR Antiaging[ti] there are about 60 hits and
they come in chronological order so you can read the latest ones not
on the U of Chicago site. Several are devoted to answering the very
question you asked. If you want to see more hits eliminate the "[ti]"
's in my search string and get around 200 returns. Several of the
papers are recent, peer-reviewed overviews and will be a better source
of unbiased info than any book I could think of. If you happen to buy
the full text of any in electronic form pls send me a copy.
      I suggest to Leonid that he put the search string on his web
site so interested readers can easily keep up to date.
Thomas