estuarine evolution

Helmut Zibrowius hzibrowi at com.univ-mrs.fr
Fri Dec 15 10:31:10 EST 1995

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:51:40 -0800, David W Kirtley Ph.D. wrote:
>This statement needs to be clarified a bit, I believe, before it
>becomes /// generally and uncritically accepted, embedded, and perfused
>through the literature ///.

   Well and pertinently formulated again!
   As for the arguments concerning the non-absence of Californian
estuaries in former ages, we have a somewhat similar situation in our
area (NW Mediterranean). Even though the submarine caves we presently
know (among many others: paleolithic Cosquer cave with entrance at now
-37m; cave with the carnivorous sponge Asbestopluma and hexactinellid
Oopsacas at ca -20m -- you may have heard about these through TV and
Nature) had been totally immerged during low stands of the sea level, there
still remained other (deeper) caves submerged since karstic lime stone
formations extend into much deeper water, as has been documented by
submersible dives. At least in that case evidence can be seen even now.
Submarine caves here are NOT new Holocene biota either.

  Helmut ZIBROWIUS
  (Centre d'Oceanologie de Marseille)
  Station Marine d'Endoume
  Rue Batterie des Lions