Welcome to the ANNELIDA mailing list!

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Thu Nov 16 23:31:34 EST 1995

Welcome to the ANNELIDA mailing list/prototype newsgroup which has
been set up in collaboration with Dr Geoff Read.  PLEASE SAVE this
message for future reference.

My name is Dr. David Kristofferson, and I am responsible for the
BIOSCI project which is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and
the National Science Foundation (NSF).  We are going to administer the
ANNELIDA group for your use while Dr Geoff Read serves as the group
discussion leader.

Posting address:    annelida at net.bio.net

Discussion leader:  Dr Geoff Read (a polychaetologist)
                    National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research
                    Wellington, New Zealand
                    <gread at actrix.gen.nz> and <read at wao.greta.cri.nz>
                    Fax: +64-(4)-232-5621

Charter for ANNELIDA:

For discussion of the scientific study of Phylum Annelida and of other
worms with annelid affinities, encompassing the polychaetes, the
clitellates (oligochaetes and leeches), the pogonophora, vestimentifera,
sipunculans, and echiurids.

ANNELIDA is expected to draw subscribers mostly from amongst ecologists,
taxonomists, and other biologists interested in biodiversity and the study
of terrestrial or aquatic annelids and annelidan allies as *whole
organisms*. Medical, neuroscience, or biochemical research which happens to
use parts of annelids will probably be more appropriately discussed
elsewhere. Subscribers will be interested in *research* on the culture of
annelids, but operation of commercial and home worm-farms will not be a
discussion topic.

Polychaetologists already have a substantial e-mail group subscribing to
CHAETOZONE e-newsletter. Participation in ANNELIDA from other workers on
worms is warmly encouraged.

Further information on WWW Annelid resources is available at:

       http://www.actrix.gen.nz/users/chaeto/index.html

BIOSCI's goal is to encourage and facilitate the use of electronic
communications by biologists.  All costs of BIOSCI services are
covered by our grant, and there is no charge to you for participating
in this or other BIOSCI groups unless your local computer service
charges you for receipt of e-mail.

In this message I will briefly explain the mechanics of using this
group and what the future plans are for it.  In the next two messages,
I will distribute the "BIOSCI info sheet" and the "BIOSCI Frequently
Asked Questions" (FAQ) sheet to enlighten you about the other network
resources that we provide.  Please save these three messages for
future reference.

When you read the BIOSCI info sheet you will note that we collaborate
with the Daresbury Laboratory in the U.K.  Normally they handle BIOSCI
message distributions and subscriptions on their side of the Atlantic.
However, since this is a "prototype" newsgroup set up as a six month
trial (more below), it is only available from our host at net.bio.net
in the U.S.  If it survives the trial period, it will be available at
both sites and a parallel USENET news distribution in the bionet
hierarchy will be made available in addition to the current e-mail
distribution mechanism.

Subscribing to this list:
colleagues who would like to sign up, they should proceed as follows.

Log in to the computer account in which you would like to receive mail
(not an account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to
the Internet address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank (anything entered on it
is ignored) and enter the following line into the body of the mail
message:

subscribe annelida

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your
e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

Canceling your subscription:

in the body of the message.  Please be sure to send the message from
the account whose address matches the one on the list.  If your
address differs from the one on our list, you will receive an error
indicating that you are not on the list.  Please contact our help
address below for assistance if this happens.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:
----------------------

Please send a message to the Internet address

biosci-help at net.bio.net

and someone on the staff here will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail
to our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
request for help.

How to post a message to the group:
-----------------------------------

Simply mail your message to the Internet address

annelida at net.bio.net

and your message will be distributed automatically to everyone on the
list.  There is no editorial intervention.  PLEASE DO NOT send
subscription requests to this address as you will bother everyone on
the newsgroup.  Please use the biosci-server at net.bio.net address as
instructed above for subscription/cancellation requests.

How to reply to a message on the group:
You must be certain that your reply contains the address

annelida at net.bio.net

in the mail header if you want to share it with everyone on the group.
Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the original
poster of the message to which you are replying.

ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before
you send them!!!  Once a message is sent there is no way to cancel it
or bring it back!!!  Some non-Internet compliant mail systems may
attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
BIOSCI-REQUEST.  If yours does this, please be sure to readdress your
message to annelida at net.bio.net if you want to send it to the
newsgroup.

How to look at archives of the list:
------------------------------------

The ANNELIDA archives are available on the World Wide Web at URL
http://www.bio.net/.  Please look under the BIOSCI/bionet archives
hypertext link and then click on the ANNELIDA folder/directory.  Each
file is assigned a date such as 9509 for September 1995.

Future Plans for the group:
---------------------------

This is a "prototype newsgroup" in our terminology which means that it
is currently distributed only by e-mail and not on USENET.  You will
find it listed near the end of the BIOSCI info sheet, not in the main
list of BIOSCI newsgroups.  In six months there will be a vote to
either convert it to a full-fledged USENET newsgroup or shut it down.
Information about USENET follows in the BIOSCI FAQ.  The rules for
establishing BIOSCI groups are appended below.

Once again, if you have any administrative questions that require
personal assistance, please address them to biosci-help at net.bio.net.
using the syntax described above.

Best wishes for a successful newsgroup!

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				biosci-help at net.bio.net

Newsgroup Creation Policy
-------------------------

For full-fledged BIOSCI newsgroup status (also see "prototype" rules below):

Proposals for new groups must contain a statement of purpose for the
group and the name of a person designated as discussion leader unless
the group is in the service category such as METHODS, EMPLOYMENT, etc.
Discussion leaders are responsible for ensuring that a reasonable
level of activity is sustained on the newsgroup (see Newsgroup
Termination Policy below).  The discussion leader can also propose the
creation of moderated newsgroups if he/she agrees to serve as
moderator (this requires access to USENET news software at the
moderator's site).  Proposals should be sent to
biosci-help at net.bio.net.

When a proposal is received it will be posted on
BIONEWS/bionet.announce.  A ten day period for discussion on
BIOFORUM/bionet.general will follow and precede the call for votes.
After the discussion, the person proposing the newsgroup may modify or
withdraw the proposal prior to the call for votes.  The modified
proposal will then be included in a call for votes on
BIONEWS/bionet.announce.  The proposal must collect 80 YES votes in 30
days and the number of YES votes must exceed the number of NO votes by
at least 40 to pass.

BIOSCI management must be informed in advance of any intended efforts
to advertise the newsgroup proposal in other forums.  While BIOSCI
wishes to inform potential users of the creation of newsgroups that
might be of interest to them, promotional efforts should be focussed
in forums likely to be utilized by professionals in the subject area
covered by the newsgroup proposal, and should seek participation in
the discussion of the proposal within bionet.general/BIOFORUM rather
than promoting separate discussions in other forums to which portions
of the BIOSCI readership may not have ready access.

If a proposal is not passed by the readers, there will be a three
month period before it can be brought up for another vote.

Newsgroup Termination Policy
----------------------------

Any group with less than 52 msgs in the previous calendar year will be
put on notice by posting an announcement to the newsgroup (not to
bionet.announce) that it faces cancellation.  It can be reprieved if
80 readers respond within two weeks (this policy will be stated in the
termination announcement).  It then has two months to reach a usage
level of one message per 3 days or else it will be abolished.  Appeals
to the BIOSCI management about high content albeit low volume on the
group will be considered.

Newsgroups for Professional Societies in Biology

BIOSCI will create a moderated newsgroup in the bionet.prof-society
domain without voter approval for any professional society in the
biological sciences which has a membership of at least 500.  Smaller
groups must go through the regular BIOSCI/bionet newsgroup creation
process.  Because these groups are not discussion forums, they will be
exempted from the 52 message per year minimum posting limit and would
only be discontinued if the society in question no longer wishes to
use them.  If usage seems extremely low on any group in the
bionet.prof-society domain, the BIOSCI/bionet staff will contact the
society in question and ensure that the newsgroup is still wanted.

BIOSCI "prototype" newsgroup creation policy

We will be happy to establish and administer a straight *mailing* list
*without* an associated USENET newsgroup for a six month trial period
for anyone that wants to try to form a new electronic community in the
biological sciences (We stress that the topics are limited to
professional communications though.).

instead of at both BIOSCI sites.  It will be the responsibility of the
person who proposes the list to get it up and running within the six
month period.  They will have to handle promotion; our involvement at
BIOSCI at net.bio.net will be limited to creating the list, putting
out one announcement about it, and handling subscription requests.

After six months, the list will be put out for discussion and a vote
according to our procedures for full-fledged newsgroups above (unless
the organizer decides to bow out).  If it passes it will become a
full-fledged BIOSCI newsgroup at both net.bio.net and daresbury.ac.uk
and will also have a parallel USENET newsgroup.  If it fails, the
prototype mailing list at net.bio.net will be shut down.

Note that this service does not preclude people who have an idea that
has widespread appeal from following our current newsgroup creation
policy and going to a vote after a 10 day discussion.

If you have an idea for a prototype newsgroup, please send it to
biosci-help at net.bio.net.