Why Do We Need a Newsgroup?

JAMES BLAKE jablake at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 19 11:27:24 EST 1995

Dear Annelid enthusiasts,

I have been wondering who would be the first to follow Geoff Read's
introductory remarks, and because no one has, I decided to do it.

I would like to solicit comments from the membership as to how they
anticipate using this medium of communication.  Geoff has gone to a
great deal of effort in getting this e-mail discussion group started.
At present it functions more like a ListServe than a NewsGroup, but
that will presumeably change after 6 months if there is sufficient
interest.

I am presently subscribed to a variety of ListServes and Newsgroup
discussions, some of which are merely sources of information and
gossip, others are very active.  Tbey range in topics from
Biodiversity, Marine Biology, Taxonomy, Deep-Sea Biology, Ecology,
Evolution, and Systematics (and Bowling; I am active in the sport).
One very active List at the present is one that deals with assessing
the proposed changes to appear in the next revision of the
International Code of Zoological Nomenclature.  At any rate, between
all these various sources of communication and information, not to
mention a deluge of back and forth private e-mail traffic and the
occasional appearance of CHAETOZONE, I raise the question to the
membership of what we do here that is not already out there to some
extent.  Is there enough information on polychaetes and related annelid
groups to warrant still another internet site?

This is a crucial question, because unless there is some real interest
among the membership, the activity will be very minimal.  I am seeing
this happen to some of the ListServs on Biodiversity and Deep-Sea,
where communication has essentially ceased; and for some of those, the
membership is far larger than this one.

I have learned that subscribers of such list tend to fall into two
categories: lurkers and chatters.  Lurkers tend to read all the news
and gossip, but not say much; chatters have something to say about
everything.  Here, I hope the lurkers will come forth more openly.

So, I ask the membership to come forth with some ideas as to how they
want to use this opportunity.

I would envision that there might be announcements of meetings,
appearance of books, requests for specimens to address research
problems, requests for information about species or topics, and
discussions about various topics such as sibling species, cosmopolitan
species, long-standing taxonomic problems such as the number of genera
of hesionids and ampharetids, how many polychaete families do we really
have?, or whatever.  The use of this List for Discussion topics is
probably where the list could fill a niche not already covered.

I look forward to some response.

Jim Blake
ENSR Consulting and Engineering
89 Water Street