Computer based expert system Polychaeta

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Jul 3 18:12:00 EST 1996

Pierre Chevaldonne wrote:

> Wasn't there something like that presented at the 4th International
> Polychete Conference? I don't have the info handy, but I would suggest that
> you take a look at the proceedings of that 1992 conference.
> Annelida subscribers can probably confirm or infirm this info. Good luck.

Pierre may be remembering this proceedings abstract. It's not immediately
evident from the very short abstract if the program does any more than
key the families.

AU Jussien, N., V. Verger, P. Gillet and Y. L'Hospitalier.
PY 1994
TI The expert system "Nereis" for polychaetous annelids from France.
SO Memoires du Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle 162: 627.

The original questioner asked if such things as polychaete expert systems
have been done before. So what definition of expert system is he using? If
not that of a computer scientist there are several programs already
available which will construct keys from data and run interactively. Those
based on the Delta method of descriptions for example. No polychaete
datasets are publicly available or imminent yet though others will know
more about that than I.

Personally I would suggest effort into taxonomy rather than expert systems
is what will advance knowledge and ease of identification of Polychaeta,
but I'm also very keen on computerisation of the miscellaneous drudge,
record-keeping and analytical tasks that get taxonomy done and get it done
rigorously.

--
   Geoff Read <gread at actrix.gen.nz>
   Annelida resources => http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/~worms/annelid.html