Computer based expert systems - belief in miracles

Helmut Zibrowius hzibrowi at com.univ-mrs.fr
Thu Jul 4 12:07:45 EST 1996

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996 11:12:00 +1200 (NZS, Geoff Read wrote:

>Personally I would suggest effort into taxonomy rather than expert systems
>is what will advance knowledge and ease of identification of Polychaeta ...

A very pertinent and realistic advice from Geoff (only too moderately
formulated).
Computer based expert systems germinating everywhere, but largely
perpetuating outdated fuss. - Such projects will make more sense as
the final stage after true, experienced and still brained human experts
have put together large representative revisions and monographs. But
that's less fashionable...
  -----------------------------------
  Helmut ZIBROWIUS
  (Centre d'Oceanologie de Marseille)