Nereidae vs. Nereididae

Francois H. Lallier lallier at sb-roscoff.fr
Thu Jul 11 01:52:26 EST 1996

>Also if anyone has an opinion on the correct spelling of the
>adjectival use of the family (and subfamily) names. Is it for
>example, nereidin species or nereidine species (or nereididin or
>nereididine .... arrrrhhhhhg)?
>
>Chris
>
>Chris Glasby, Marine Taxonomy, NIWA - Greta Point, PO Box 14-901,

Well, try "species of nereids" (or nereidids).
I would add that in french, we usually just remove the "a" from and add an
"s" to the latin suffix to form common family names:

Nereidae -> nereides

And until the new ICZN comes out, I'll vote for simplicity and continue to
ignore Nereididae and nereidids.

Francois Lallier

              |         ~~ E C O P H Y S I O L O G I E ~~        |+
              | STATION BIOLOGIQUE  BP74    TEL (33) 98 29 23 11 ||
              |29682 ROSCOFF CEDEX FRANCE   FAX (33) 98 29 23 24 ||