Diplochaetetes fossil tubes

Rudolf Fischer r.fischer at mbox.geowi.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jul 11 09:01:48 EST 1996

Dear worm experts, I study fossil calcareous tubes, found in Oligocene to
Pliocene beds from Lower California. They are known as Diplochaetetes
mexicanus, considered as tubes of a polychaete worm. The tube walls show a
microbialitic microstructure, very similar to that of a recent
Dodecaceria-sepcies from Yucatan, Mexico. Precipitation of microbialites is
actively controlled by microbes (bacteria) or inactively induced by acidic
organic macromolecules. I would appreciate any information about (1)
symbiosis between bacteria and polychaetes and (2) about the chemical
composition of mucus enveplopes of polychaete worms. Thanks   Rudolf Fischer
<r.fischer at mbox.geowi.uni-hannover.de>

-- ANNELIDA discussion list --

[Yes, this is a near repeat of the message I forwarded 4 July.
  Anyone experienced in vent polychaetes & vestimentiferans care to
  comment for Prof Fischer?  -- Moderator ]