Siboga polychaetes

Land, J. van der evert at nnm.nl
Tue Jun 11 17:01:24 EST 1996

Answering Angel de Leon's request:
People who want to have information on Siboga polychaetes do well to send their
request to both the Amsterdam and the Leiden museum. In particular much of the
material described by Horst is in Leiden. In a case like Nereis abnormis [not
abnormalis!] Horst, 1924, where the original series consisted of 25 specimens,
they are likely to have been divided between both museums. Most often, as in
this case, there are also microscopic slides prepared by Horst, from which the
original figures were made. Most of them are in Leiden. In some cases the slides
are in Leiden, while the specimen from which the parapodia (or whatever) were
cut is in Amsterdam. We did not yet sort this out completely. Regrettably in
some other cases the specimen was lost, but then a slide may still be present.
Many of the Canada balsam preparations are still in remarkably good shape.

Sincerely
Jacob van der Land

Dr Jacob van der Land,
National Museum of Natural History,