Underwater painting method

Tomoyuki Miura miura at zero.fish.kagoshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 26 21:42:52 EST 1996

Dear annelid researchers,

Geoff Read wrote:
Read>PS: Did anyone seeing the recent Nat. Geographic article on seep 'worms'
Read>find anything in the text resembling a hint as to taxonomic placement?

I read the vent worm article on National Geographic.  It was very
interesting for me.

Concerning with this article, I am wondering if anyone has any information
on the painting methods and materials used in this work.  The authors used a
kind of painting materials resistant for more than one year in seawater and
the tube is thought to be painted by using a deepsea submersible (with not
so skilful hand).

As we are working on a shallow water species of Lamellibrachia since its
finding in 1993, we try to collecte any information on their life.  Their
growth and life span are also our subject, but not so simple even in the
shallow water species.  Even I could maintain this species in my laboratory
for more than one year, the worms did not show any growth of tube.  The
maintenance experiment of this species is now continued by JAMSTEC
(Yokosuka) and Kagohsima Aquarium (open in 1997).  As this species lives on
the bottom with volcanic gas seeps at the depths of 80-110 m in Kagohsima
Bay, its field experiments is not difficult.

I would appreciate if you could help me to send any information concerning
the underwater painting methods.

Thanks in advance,

Tomo Miura

Reference:  Hashimoto, J., T. Miura, K. Fujikura, and J. Ossaka, 1993:
Discoverry of vestimentiferan tube-worms in the euphotic zone.  Zoological
Science, 10: 1063-1067.

Tomoyuki Miura
miura at zero.fish.kagoshima-u.ac.jp
Faculty of Fisheries, Kagoshima University
4-50-20, Shimoarata, Kagoshima, 890 Japan
Tel: +81-99-286-4272,    Fax: +81-99-286-4015