Pseudo-Taxonomy on the WWW

Mike Satterwhite msatterw at lcsc.edu
Mon Oct 21 18:41:58 EST 1996

The issue of electronic publication is not one that will go away. There
are two issues, the archive and distribution. Anyone searching for older
literature knows that you better be close to a good science library, or
you will have to wait a long time for the copy to get to you from the
archive, if you can find a library with the publications. If you are in
the 3rd World, obstacles are even greater.

Start devising a protocol to answer both archive and distributuion
issues. While it's unwise to trust CDROM or other electronic media,
safety is in replication and renewal. Electronic media will make it
possible for a biologist to own the whole library, not just the
journals he can afford to subscribe to.

Maybe the NIH/NSF needs to commit to researching methods for
creating and maintaining archived record, and to coordinate that
with our libraries,

MS

D. Michael Satterwhite, PhD.			Phone: 	208-799-2890 at LCSC
Division of Natural Science and Mathematics	Home:   208-746-3628/7288
Lewis-Clark State College			Fax:    208-799-2064
500 8th Street
Lewiston, Idaho  83501				e-mail: msatterw at www.lcsc.edu