coral reef symbiont worms

Daniel Martin dani at ceab.es
Tue Jan 14 04:37:05 EST 1997

Dear colleagues,

We are interested in having additional information (e.g., ecology of the
relationships, references) concerning some polychaetes mentioned as coral
and/or sponge associates in the book "REEF CREATURE IDENTIFICATION.
FLORIDA, CARIBBEAN BAHAMAS" by Paul Human (Ned Deloach ed.). Dr.
Pettibone and Dr. Perkins were mentioned as the responsible for the
polychaete identification (scaleworms and others, respectively).

More concretely, the partners we are interested on are:
        - the sponge Neofibularia nolitangere with Haplosyllis sp. and
Hydroides spongicola,
        - the coral Stephanocenia michelini with a new species (?) of
Vermiliopsis.

Any information well be welcomed, particularly on the following two points:
        1.- Who described Hydroides spongicola, and in which paper?
        2.- Are the non-identified serpulid currently described?

Thank you very much in advance,

        Daniel Martin and Temir A. Britayev.

Dr. Daniel Martin
Centre d'Estudis Avancats de Blanes (C.S.I.C.)
Cami de Sta. Barbara s/n
17300 Blanes, Girona
Spain
FAX:  34 72 337806