Subphylum Clitellata

Geoff Read at
Wed Jan 22 02:44:57 EST 1997

Annelida devotees,

I see there is a school which elevates the clitellates to a subphylum (ref
below). Presumably that makes the polychaetes a subphylum too (if
not something different altogether under future/present  Rouse-Fauchaldian
analysis) - or does it? Is this inflationary nomenclature, callously
unmindful of textbook and encyclopedia writers whose works become obsolete
overnight, or a move of deep and fundamental significance we should all

Gelder,Stuart R (1996): A review of the taxonomic nomenclature and a
checklist of the species of the Branchiobdellae (Annelida: Clitellata).
Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 109(4), 653-663.

  Geoff Read < at>