polychaete feeding

Nadia Papadopoulou nadiapap at imbc.gr
Thu Jul 3 10:08:27 EST 1997

Dear Annelidians,

I work at the Institute of Marine Biology of Crete as a polychaete
taxonomist (html: //www.imbc.gr/) and at the same time I'm registered for a
PhD on shelf, slope & deep sea polychaetes (100-1600 m) from quantitative
boxcore samples (0.1 m2, 0.5 mm sieve size, 5 replicates/station) from the
Aegean in the framework of 2 EC supported MAST projects (MAST II: CINCS &
MAST III: MATER). So far the emphasis was on spatial, temporal, vertical
(0-5, 5-10, 10-20 cm in the sediment) & bathymetric distributional patterns
of polychaetes & polychaete feeding types (acc. to Fauchald & Jumars 1979)
in relation to environmental parameters (sediment chla, TOC, TON, ATP,
carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, bacterial biomass). Now I would like to
put more towards functional aspects and especially feeding. I have two more
sets of samples coming in (Sept 97 & Feb 98, 400 - 2200 m, 0.25 m2, 0.5 &
0.3 mm sieve sizes, 5 replicates/station) and I would really like to try
and learn more about my dominant species (tiny: Pholoides dorsipapillatus,
Levinsenia gracilis, Galathowenia oculata, medium sized: Paradiopatra sp.
and Terebellides stroemi) both in terms of how they're feeding and what are
they feeding upon.

Any ideas, suggestions, tips on gut contents analysis (especially for small
animals) and or /ive observations, thoughts on the topic of polychaete
feeding, contacts will be of great help and greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Nadia
Nadia Papadopoulou-Smith
Institute of Marine Biology of Crete, PO Box 2214, 71003 Iraklion, Crete,
Greece.
Tel: +30 81 242022/241992, Fax: +30 81 241882, E-mail:nadiapap at imbc.gr

-- ANNELIDA LIST
   Server address   =  biosci-server at net.bio.net (un/subscribes)