Extracting polydorids

Sean Handley sean at environment.cawthron.org.nz
Thu Jul 17 11:34:27 EST 1997

> I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to extract polydorids

A method I have used to extract spionids from oysters is the use of
the vermifuges: 0.5% phenol and/or 0.25% di-dichlorobenzene in
seawater. The worms are expelled from their host if left overnight in
these solutions.  Caution is advised working with di-chlorobenzene...

For further reading on vermifuges and acid dissolution of coral see:

MacKenzie, C.L.; Shearer, L.W. 1959: Chemical control of Polydora
websteri and other annelids inhabiting oyster shells. Proceedings -
National Shellfisheries Association 50: 105-111.

Brock, R.E. and Brock, J.H. 1977: A method for quantitatively
assessing the infaunal community in coral rock. Limnol.Oceanogr.
22:948-951, .

Regards....Sean
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sean Handley
sean at environment.cawthron.org.nz
Cawthron
98 Halifax St East
Private Bag 2        Tel 64 03 548 2319
Nelson               Fax 64 03 546 9464
New Zealand
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- ANNELIDA LIST
   Server address   =  biosci-server at net.bio.net (un/subscribes)
   Discussion address  =  annelida at net.bio.net  (talk to all members)