Boccardia polybranchia in Europe

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Thu May 8 01:41:20 EST 1997

Dear  Boccardiaphiles, spionid watchers, and ecologists,

It is a speculation of mine, and perhaps I'm not alone in this,  that
Boccardia polybranchia sensu Carazzi might have been an immigrant species
from the southern hemisphere. If so, there do not appear to be sufficient
new European reports of it (subsequent to Carazzi's 1893 Naples occurrence
and Mesnil's 1896 northern French coast occurrences (these records
repeated by others)) to indicate the species has survived and thrives
today. It was quite common at least at Naples.

Tell me it ain't so! It must be there! Show me the refs I've overlooked.
Tell me the little darling occurs densely today in your patch of water.
And please send me some examples.

Seriously, I'd be interested in borrowing for a very short period any
extant preserved material from Naples, the  Med, France, UK and
neighbours.

(I am aware of putative modern check-list records by Ben-Eliahu (1976),
Campoy (1979), and Fassari (1982). Any other ecological refs from the
region?)

Thanks for your help,

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>