Postdoctoral position available

boqianpy BOQIANPY at usthk.ust.hk
Fri May 9 21:52:12 EST 1997

Dear all,

The following message is targetting for the people who are looking for
postdoctoral opportunity.  Please ignore it if you are not one of them.
Thanks.  Pei-Yuan Qian, HKUST

______________________

Two postdoc openings in my lab, starting in summer 1997.

1). Major duty of this postdoc will be involving in screening non-toxic
marine natural compounds for antifouling purpose or medical
applications.  Therefore, the candidates should have some basic
training in larval ecology or chemical ecology of marine invertebrates.
The candidate is expected to team up with one of existing postdoc who
has Ph.D. degree in natural product chemistry from Germany.

For your curiosity,  this university has just initiated a new program
in exploration and application of marine natural products.  In the
working team, there are 9 faculty from three departments (biology,
Chemistry, and biochemistry).  At this moment, we are very much
interested in compounds from ocean that can be used for medical purpose
or antifouling purpose.  This university has also developed a very
strong progrom on Traditional Chinese Medician (screening the compounds
from Chinese herb medician).

2). Major duty of this postdoc will be involving in determining the
relationship between flow dynamics and larval settlement in a closed
system.  Thus, the ideal candidate shall have trainings in biomechanics
or biophysics or larval biology.

For your information, at this moment, my lab has 3 postdoc (1 from
Germany, 1 from Canada, 1 from China), 4 graduate students (from
local), 2 RAs (1 from Canada, 1 from Hong Kong), 1 technician (from
Canada), 3 visiting professors (1 from USA, 2 from China), and 2 UG
students for their thesis research.  The lab is fully equiped for
larval biology research and for screening natural compounds (my
department has 5 HPLC, 2 GC, 1 FPLC, and Mass).  We also have a small
indoor seawater system (13 metric tonns of seawater) and several
biological incubators for algal or larval cultures.

As English is the official language in working environment and thus, we
perfer to have candidates who are fluent in English.  The current
salary for postdoc with some working experience is HK$23,750 per month.
Medical benifit will also be provided.  The appointment will be for one
year but with the second year renewable, pending on performance and
funding situation.

For those who are interested in these positions, please send me a copy
of your C.V. by e-mail or fax no later than May 30, 1997.  If
shortlisted, you will be requested to provide two reference letters.

Thank you for your attention.

Pei-Yuan Qian, Ph.D.
Department of Biology
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: 	0852-2358-7331 (office)
	0852-2358-7336/7337 (lab)
Fax:	0852-2358-1559