Help with five polychaete genera

Chris Glasby c.glasby at niwa.cri.nz
Mon May 12 04:27:00 EST 1997

Hesiocaeca is a hesionid. The genus was described by Hartman, O. (1965)
Deep-water benthic polychaetous annelids off New England to Bermuda ....
Allan Hancock Foundation Publications, Occassional paper 28: 1-378 with
type species H. bermudensis. Since then another species in the genus has
been described from the Marianas by Blake JA (1991). A new species of
Hesiocaeca from hydrothermal vents .... Porc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 104(1):
175-180.

Orseis is also a hesionid, but probably an invalid genus because the
description appears to be based on a juvenile specimen (unpub. view). The
genus was described by Ehlers, E. (1864). Die
borstenwurmer nach systematischen und anatomischen untersuchungen
dargestellt. Leipzig, Wilhelm Engelmann 748 pp, with type species O.
pulla from the northern Adriatic.
There are several described species in the genus but in my view most
are either juvenile hesionids or belong to the Syllidae. Let me know if
you need these references too.

Chris

Chris Glasby, Marine Taxonomy, NIWA - Greta Point, PO Box 14-901,
Kilbirnie, Wellington, New Zealand
email: c.glasby at niwa.cri.nz
phone: 64-4-386 0352 fax: 64-4-386 2153

-- ANNELIDA LIST