authors with aristocracic title

Kirk Fitzhugh fitzhugh at
Mon Oct 20 18:55:22 EST 1997

Responding to Frank Licher's question about proper names, he notes the

Linnaeus was born as "Carl Linnaeus." Later in life, when he was recognized
as part of nobility, his name was changed to "Carl von Linne." I've seen
one portrait, which appears to be a copy from another, where he has the
name "Charles Linne." I don't think Linnaeus ever referred to himself as
"Charles". I believe "Carolus" is just a latinized form of "Carl". I
suggest using "Carl Linnaeus."

Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D., Associate Curator of Polychaetes
Invertebrate Zoology Section
Research & Collections Branch
Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History
900 Exposition Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90007

Phone:   213-763-3233
FAX:     213-746-2999
e-mail:  fitzhugh at

   Server address   =  biosci-server at (un/subscribes)
   Discussion address  =  annelida at  (talk to all members)
   List archives  =  URL:
   Research resource = URL: