authors with aristocracic title

Gerard Bellan gbellan at com.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Oct 21 02:28:38 EST 1997

Considering Monsieur le Baron de Saint Joseph :

some years ago , people enjoying an aristocratic title ("titre de
noblesse royale, d'Empire ou papale") arriving in some official reception
at the Palais de l'Elysee (where the French President of the Republic
"lives") was announcing as "Monsieur le Baron, Madame la Marquise, Son
Altesse Serenissime, and so on...". Since around 2 decades (as Valery
Giscard d'Estaing, who is not an aristocrat!)  was President de la
Republique such presentations are non longer utilized!

So I suggest, concerning my compatriot to discard "le Baron" pour A. de
SAINT JOSEPH (in any case "de" could be write as "DE"). For other reasons,
it's different for DE GAULLE, but he was not polychaetologist, so no
matter of trouble! As I'm not very fluent in Italian, I cannot be sure of
the fact that DALLA Torre or DELLE Chiaje have an aristocratic
signification (von Dalla Torre may be get his von, from the Austrian
Emperor !) . Our Italian Colleagues have probably clarified this problem!

The best to you all Polychaetologists

Bellan

>Dear collegues,
>I am finishing a revision of the genus Typosyllis Langerhans
>(Syllidae) for Ph.D. thesis at the University of Osnabrueck.
>
>When generating the list of cited literature, I stumbled over unclarity
>how to cite and alphabetize some few authors with aristocratic title. As
>there seems to be no guideline and moreover, as other authors seem to
>have these "problems" also (according to ununiformity I noticed in the
>references), I would like to throw this question into discussion and would
>be grateful for receiving any advice.

Dr. Gerard BELLAN
Centre d'Oceanologie de Marseille
UMR CNRS DIMAR