authors with aristocracic title

Helmut Zibrowius hzibrowi at com.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Oct 21 12:09:05 EST 1997

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:48:29 GMT, Frank Licher wrote:

>When generating the list of cited literature, I stumbled over unclarity
>how to cite and alphabetize some few authors with aristocratic title. As
>there seems to be no guideline ....

The current use varies with the languages, as far as alphabetical lists
of authors for bibliography are concerned. At least in German (von) and
French (de) the most common particles are arranged after the family name
(Marenzeller, von; Blainville, de). Current use in Italian appears to be
different: Delle Chiaje, Della Croce, Di Geronimo, etc.
As for the Dutch, fellow polychaete worker Harry ten Hove told me that in
bibliographies he prefers to figure as Hove, ten (with his geographic? not
aristocratic? particle) behind.
I remember a South African author with a somewhat "complexe" (for
outsiders) name of Dutch origin (now to be considered as Afrikaans)
"alphabetically" listed in three different ways, including in his own
publications - either he had not decided a standard way to handle his
own name, or he was imposed the three different versions by different
editors of journals.

As for the version to be used as the author's name following a species
name, it surely would be convenient to always use the name without
whatever particle (parcimony), but this would be occasionally in
contradiction with with above.

  -----------------------------------
  Helmut ZIBROWIUS
  (Centre d'Oceanologie de Marseille)
  Station Marine d'Endoume
  Rue Batterie des Lions
  13007 Marseille / France
  E-MAIL:  hzibrowi at com.univ-mrs.fr
  TEL: within France  0491041624  from abroad +33 491041624
  FAX: within France  0491041635  from abroad +33 491041635

-- ANNELIDA
Discuss   = annelida at net.bio.net      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at net.bio.net = un/subscribes
Resources = http://www.keil.ukans.edu/~worms/annelid.html