FW: predatory terrestrial planarians

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Thu Jan 22 22:35:34 EST 1998

While we are on this topic I will make mention of a New Zealand export
which for a while a couple of years ago caused some excitement,
particularly in  UK agricultural/horticultural circles, as an earthworm
predator. I haven't kept up with recent developments but there's this

Boag,B; Evans,KA; Yeates,GW; Johns,PM; Neilson,R (1995): Assessment of the
global potential distribution of the predatory land planarian Artioposthia
triangulata (Dendy) (Tricladida: Terricola) from ecoclimatic data. N. Z. J.
Zool. 22, 311-318.

<Using ecoclimatic data suggests Artioposthia, introduced from New Zealand
to Ireland and Scotland, could establish in central Europe, east and west
North America, Australia, southern South America and south Africa. NZ
distribution is south-eastern South Island only>

  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>