Calcium carbonate and evolution

Geoff Read at
Tue Mar 31 23:13:11 EST 1998

Annelida folk,

A  serious question - but be careful out there in Net land - it's April

I am trying to think of the polychaetes which in some way can secrete
calcium carbonate. So far I have the obvious in the tubes (& opercula) of
Serpulidae, and also those of the cirratulid Dodecaceria fewkesi, the
calcified jaws of some Eunicida, the calcified setae of Amphinomidae. What
other candidates and structures are there?

Also are there any interesting theories  on the evolution & occurrence of
calcium carbonate structures in the more 'primitive' animals?  A review
somewhere? Or is calcium metabolism so fundamental to cell biology that
almost any animal has the ability to make hard crystals of it occasionally?

Please reply to the (very quiet) list. We need the traffic!

  Geoff Read < at>