ITIS modernises Polychaeta hierarchy

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Wed Oct 21 01:51:22 EST 1998

Hello folks,

I've  noticed that ITIS, the USA official taxonomy juggernaut, or more
respectfully - the "Integrated Taxonomic Information System" partnership to
provide a standardised taxonomy, has, this month, loaded Kristian's &
Greg's higher classification for Polychaeta. Previously they were using the
rather tired and outdated NODC classification.

http://www.itis.usda.gov/itis/itislist.cgi?tsn=64358&rtnscr=/itis/itis_phyl
o_report.cgi&rtnpar=longacc=N:kingdom=5:level=140:prtto=1

I'm not sure how to mine down to that level in the hierarchy starting from
the ITIS home page, but if you copy the enormous URL above successfully
onto one line you'll be looking at the Polychaeta 'children' of Scolecida
and Palpata. Remember them? You can continue to explore the tree from
there.

Enjoy.

Perhaps Kristian Fauchald can comment further if there are questions about
this (very interesting) project. I assume that Kristian has been the
advisor and data provider behind the update.

I see for example that  Aeolosomatidae, Potamodrilidae, Parergodrilidae,
and Psammodrilidae are slotted into the Scolecida, although they were
incertae sedis in Rouse & Fauchald 1997:204.

By the way ITIS appears to shoehorn the R&F system into Linnaean
categories - something R&F did not do.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>