(Fwd) Impact factors

Harry A. ten Hove hove at bio.uva.nl
Thu Oct 22 07:08:06 EST 1998

I forwarded this piece of information

>Table  1. Impact factor of several journals that contain papers on taxonomy
>of polychaetes (modif. ISI, 1994, 25(1)); 1989 impact factors are after the
>review by Fuseler-Mcdowell. NA means that such journal was not included in
>that review; other figures are taken from the  Journal of Citation Reports
>(1993, 1996).
>
>Revista/ Journal 			1996		1993		1989
>
>Zoologica Scripta			1.136		0.437		  NA
>J Marine Biological
>     Assoc United Kingdom	1.114		0.914		1.036
>Acta Zoologica		         1.030		0.603		  NA
>Zoological Journal of the Linnean Soc.	0.946		0.430		  NA
>Biological Journal of the Linnean Soc.	0.932		1.427		  NA
>Ophelia				        0.845		0.496
>	0.431
>Bijdragen tot de Dierkunde		0.800		0.393		  NA
>Canadian Journal of Zoology		0.685		0.735		  NA
>Journal of Natural History		0.595		0.321		  NA
>Bulletin of Marine Science		0.539		0.442		0.208
>Helgol"nder Meeresuntersuchungen	0.460		0.455		0.375
>Cahiers de Biologie Marine		0.317		0.194		  NA
>Proceedings of the Biological Society
>    of Washington			0.245		0.246		  NA
>Revista de BiologIa Tropical		0.076		0.067		  NA
>. . . . . .

to the staff of our museum, and received the following reaction:

OBVIOUSLY, if it is a game we are playing, Bijdragen/Contributions seems to
be playing it well.  However, I question whether the improvements here are
entirely due to the inclusion of more experimental work in the pages of the
journals with increasing impact.  In the case of Bij/Cont that is not the
case, I think.  Rather what I have been consciously doing is insisting
authors "push" themselves when submitting or when revising papers for our
journal.  We don't like to publish just alpha-taxonomy -- we have Beufortia
and the Bulletin for that.  We do like to see phylogenies, or discussions
of biogeography, or treatments of character analysis, or morphometrics
attached to the alpha-tax.  I think that unless taxonomists do not strive
to seek and promote the greater significance of our field to a wider
audience.  We have not done enough in that resepct in the past, and it
caused us PR problems.

Of course, I also believe that no matter what we do to give our field some
"pizzaz," that we will always have chemists, and physicists, and mol.
biol. saying, "Ugh, taxonomy!"

Frederick R. Schram
Professor of Systematics and Zoogeography
Institute for Systematics and Population Biology
University of Amsterdam
Post Box 94766
NL-1090 GT Amsterdam
Netherland

phone +(31.20)525.6435
fax   +(31.20)525-5402
e-mail  schram at bio.uva.nl

Harry A. ten Hove
Institute for Systematics and Ecology
Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam
POB 94766, 1090 GT AMSTERDAM

TEL. 3120 5256906
FAX. 3120 5255402