Impact factors

Jack Pearce jpearce at whsun1.wh.whoi.edu
Thu Oct 22 12:15:27 EST 1998

As scientific editor of Fishery Bulletin and North American editor of
Marine Pollution Bulletin, I can tell you that the same thing is
happening in other fields/disciplines.  If a journal is solely taxonomic it
will be regarded as "unimportant," therefore of little "impact."

Solutions include publishing in mixed journals and working with editors to
encourage a mix of disciplines.  I recently dedicated an entire issue of
Fishery Bulletin to a taxonomic treatment of a single fish taxa.

Increasingly, genetics and its application(s) are becoming the big, high
impact story.  Where genetics is applied to systematics/taxonomy, there is
increased interest and attention.  Again, taxonomics are key to most other
biological disciplines and much of aquatic science.  Those aware of the
issues should continually communicated this theme!

Jack Pearce <jpearce at whsun1.wh.whoi.edu>