Cavalier-Smith and the polychaetes

Greg Rouse gregr at bio.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 28 01:56:50 EST 1998

>Cavalier-Smith,T (1998): A revised six-kingdom system of life.
>Biological Reviews 73(3), 203-266.
>
>Subphylum Polychaeta, Infraphylum NOV. Operculata (Spirorbis, Serpula),
>Infraphylum NOV. Pharyngata (Nereis, Arenicola, Sabella).

We should feel honoured that the great Tom Cavalier-Smith, famous for his
multifarious hypotheses about the evolution and classification of the
Eukaryota, has deigned to cast his eye on our little clade (or grade). For
Tom, paraphyly and polyphyly are not dirty words, they give one an
opportunity to revise, and revise again. So look out for his new, improved,
7 Superduper-Kingdom system in your library sometime soon.

*********************************
Greg Rouse
School of Biological Sciences A08
University of Sydney