Anesthetizing lumbricids

Nicole Dubilier ndubilie at
Wed Aug 4 17:34:32 EST 1999

Dear Annelidiologists,

Can anyone give me some tips on how to anesthetize lumbricid worms? I
am trying to insert microelectrodes into a Lumbricus sp. (somewhat smaller
than Lumbricus terrestris) and the worms definitely do not like it and tend to
move so much that  measurements become difficult. Ideal would be a
substance that would anesthesize the worm but not its gut microflora, but I'll
try anything at this point.

thank you, Nicole Dubilier

Dr. Nicole Dubilier
Dept. of Molecular Ecology
Max-Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology
Celsiusstr. 1, D-28359 Bremen, Germany
Tel.: +49 421 2028-932, Fax: +49 421 2028-580
ndubilie at