Amynthas sp. - "jumping" earthworms

Dr Hugh D.Jones hjones at
Tue Jun 1 17:04:59 EST 1999

Whilst studying land flatworms in Liverpool hothouse, we noticed some
"jumping" earthworms. They are extremely vigorous when disturbed and
leap about all over the place. On checking in Sims & Gerard, it is clear that
they are a species of Amynthas (Megascolecidae) but none of the species
listed. I have preserved specimens (and video of their leaping!) if anyone is
interested in taking these further.

Hugh Jones.

hugh.jones at
Dr Hugh D.Jones,
School of Biological Sciences,
3.239 Stopford Building,
University of Manchester,
Manchester, M13 9PT (UK)
Phone/FAX: International: +44 161 275 3885
           UK and Ireland: 0161 275 3885
Email: hugh.jones at