Soil/sand core sampling

Matthew O'Brien MObrien at
Wed Jun 9 22:58:39 EST 1999

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a device for sampling sand cores (both wet and dry)
from a beach environment?  I want to look at sediment characteristics over
depth up a beach.  I need to be able to obtain .75 - 1.0 meter length
(deep) cores, 2.5cm (1") - 5cm (2") in diameter.  It's important that the
cores are relatively unmixed, so the true strata are retained.

I've looked at some soil samplers, but nothing seems to look to do the
trick.  I'm thinking of inserting a s/steel tube into the sand, but am
worried about being able to insert it to the required depth, and retaining
all the sand!

Any comments/suggestions/ideas most appreciated!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Matthew O'Brien
Matthew O'Brien,
Department of Zoology and Entomology,