Monster Camera

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Wed Jun 23 21:34:15 EST 1999

Kristian wrote:
> In the lab in Los Angeles were present a set of "monster-camera"
> pictures taken just off Scripps in about 1000 m depth.  This camera was on
> a high tripod and was pointed at a bait (some fish if I remember correctly).
> It was a time-lapse situation.  One of the truly striking features was that
> after several hours, masses of Hyalinoecia stricta, a very large species,
> came cruising in from all sides ...

I was unable to find any other recorded occurrence of this behaviour,
despite a lot of baited camera work having been done since around the
world. So, if  those historic photos - taken by the team of JD Isaacs of
Scripps - could be relocated they would be valuable to study. I would like to
think they're still around somewhere in the archives. The well-known
published photo is in Dayton & Hessler, 1972 (DS Res. 19:199-208).
Isaacs pioneered the technique, but rather missed out in the seminal paper
stakes (except there was a  dramatic shark photo in Sci American), but I
did find another published photo from the same series, with quill-worms
visible, in:

Isaacs,J. D & Schwartzlose, R. A. 1975, Biological applications of
underwater photography. Oceanus 18: 24-30.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>