Serpula vermicularis

Harry A. ten Hove hove at
Mon Mar 29 17:11:30 EST 1999

>Does anyone know of any location(s) where Serpula vermicularis forms
>"reefs" besides Loch Creran (West of Scotland) and Ardbear Lough
>Any information about their ecology and habitat are welcome.
>Paula Pereira
><PAULA at>

I tried to cover the topic in:

HOVE, H.A. TEN, & P. VAN DEN HURK, 1993.- A review of Recent and fossil
serpulid "reefs"; actuopaleontology and the 'Upper Malm' serpulid
limestones in NW Germany. Geol. Mijnbouw, 72: 23-67, 12 figs., 5 tabs.

Unfortunately, no reprints left. On p.42 I referred to:

Mastrangelo, P., & L. Passeri, 1975.- Sedimenti calcareo-argillosi e
biolititi a serpulidi nel Mar Piccolo di Taranto. Boll. Soc. Geol. It. 94:
2019-2046, 8 figs.

They mention "antireefs" of Serpula vermicularis from S.Italy.

Harry A. ten Hove
Institute for Systematics and Ecology
Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam
POB 94766, 1090 GT AMSTERDAM

TEL. 3120 5256906
FAX. 3120 5255402
<hove at>