Capitella

James Blake jablake at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 2 15:40:20 EST 1999

Dear Folks,

I agree with Geoff in that we need to sort out the Capitella sibling species
complex and apply names to go with the entities.

In the soon to be published and last annelid volume (7) of the "Taxonomic Atlas
of the Santa Maria Basin Fauna....", I have attempted to set the framework for
the revision of Capitella that Geoff is talking about.

I review the recent taxonomic history including the classification schemes
of Hartman and Warren, and where those schemes apply to the sibling
species issues arising from the discoveries of Judy Grassle and others. I
restrict Capitella capitata sensu lato to specimens having capillaries in
both rami of setigers 1-6 and either capillaries, hooks, or mixed fascicles
on setiger 7.  I present a table of six of the sibling species that Judy and
others have studied and point out that four of these belong to this broadly
defined definition. However, when one looks at the table, it will be very
apparent that each of those four siblings can be readily separated from
one another on the basis of prostomial shape, nature of the peristomium,
shape of the posterior end, distribution of hooded hooks, and several of
the reproductive and developmental features.

Among the specimens I examined from California were three different
morphotypes that fall into the "sensu lato" restriction I have suggested.  At
least one of these is clearly sibling species I; I don't know if the other two
belong to other defined siblings or are further new species.  However, the
point is that I am able to distinguish what appear to be different species
based on adult morphology alone.  One of these three has a distinct
methyl green staining pattern, the others do not.

What is needed is to acquire a collection of adult Capitella from Naples,
the type locality and to establish and fix a definition of C. capitata from
there. Once that is done, then the various siblings can be sorted out and
named.  I have set up a matrix of what I have and run some preliminary
cladistics and given the relatively large number of characters available,
the resolution among the siblings is very good with at least one good
synapomorphy at each branch. Therefore, I am quite confident that the
group can be sorted out at some point and some names applied.  This
really is quite crucial because C. capitata or whatever one calls it these
days, is very important in coastal ecology and is sometimes used a test
organism.  When that is done, it becomes a matter of comparing apples
and oranges as far as comparative test results are concerned.

I am probably not the one who will ultimately resolve this issue (capitellids
are not my favorite worms), but it was interesting to pull this information
together.  Hope this helps a little.  We are hoping to have vol. 7 in print
before the end of the year.  Brigitte and I are just wrapping up our last
chapters.

Jim

James A. Blake
ENSR Marine & Coastal Center