Complexity and perplexity

Tom Parker tparker at lacsd.org
Tue Oct 5 16:42:42 EST 1999

Geoff Read wrote:

> I'm perplexed (or should it be prplxd?). Is  vowel aversion going to be
> the new expressive social phenomenon - like shaven heads or tongue studs?
>
> I don't think so. I expect most people have  no difficulty striking the
> extra letters on the keyboard, do not think that abbreviated words  have
> extra magic powers, are able to use database fields of 100's of
> characters, and so have no reason to  adopt 'cmplx' for 'complex.'

Greetings:

You make a good point.  My use of "cmplx" was just a repeating of the term
adopted by the SCAMIT folks under the Conventions section of the
SCAMIT List, Edition 3, page 4-5.

I don't recall if there was any specific rationale for dropping the vowel.

bye for now,

Tom Parker
<tparker at lacsd.org>