Canary Islands: Pilargids

Sergio Salazar Vallejo salazar at ecosur-qroo.mx
Fri Oct 8 14:09:04 EST 1999

Dear colleagues,

Langerhans (1881) described several polychaetes from Puerto de la
Orotova, Tenerife, Canary Islands. Among them was Ancistrosyllis albini,
which after the review by Pettibone (1966) is regarded as the type
species of Synelmis Chamberlin 1919. She also regarded this species as
a senior synonym to S. simplex Chamberlin, from Rangiroa Island,
Paumotu Islands in the French Polynesia.

Together with Harlan Dean, we are preparing a note on Synelmis and
have already reviewed some specimens from Cape Vert Islands and
some other type materials. However, we have been unable to see any S.
albini from the Canary Islands.

Jorge Nunez, our expert on Canary Islands polychaetes, has been very
helpful but he lacks any specimen of this species. I wonder if any reader
in this mailing list might have traveled there and have some pilargids that I
could see.

Thanks a lot for your help. Un abrazo,

Sergio

	La Ciencia del Tercer Mundo no está perdida, sino ignorada.
	Third World Science is not lost (Sci. Amer. Aug. 1995:76),
		just ignored.

Sergio I. Salazar-Vallejo
Depto. Ecología Acuática
ECOSUR, Apdo. Postal 424