Freshwater oligochaeta from Hawaii

Benbowme1 at aol.com Benbowme1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 00:20:55 EST 1999

Dear All,

I am interested in finding someone who may have interest in identifying
and possibly describing a very large aquatic oligochaete that I repeatedly
collect from mountain streams on Maui, Hawaii.  I am positive that they are
fully aquatic.  A couple of days ago I collected close to 20 (many > 12 cm
in length) in about a 225cm2 area of sand covered with detritus.  They
were buried, and when disturbed actively began to burrow back into the
sand.  They had full guts and were turgid to the touch.  When lifted and left
in the water column they actively flail about in a trashing manner until they
settle on the substrate and then begin to burrow again.  no sign of osmotic
stress at all.  I have collected them in abundance several times before.  The
interesting thing is that they have a clittelum (or what appears to be one),
which I have been told, is not found in any fully aquatic oligochaeta, but
more indicative of earthworms (I think the Lumbriculidae or something like
that, I am not a expert in annelid taxonomy, obviously) which are all
terrestrial.  If anyone has any information or is willing to take a look at
these creatures please contact me at benbowme1 at aol.com.  I can collect
as many as is needed.  Thanks in advance.

Eric Benbow
Dept. of Biology
University of Dayton
Dayton, OH  45469-2320