Freshwater oligochaeta from Hawaii

Prof Barrie Jamieson BJamieson at zoology.uq.edu.au
Fri Oct 15 02:21:11 EST 1999

Dear Eric,
All oligochaete families have a clitellum and the Lumbriculidae are aquatic.
Nevertheless, your worm, with a clearly visible clitellum is probably a
member of the Crassiclitellata (multilayered clitellum). In this group,
Megascolecidae of the genus Pheretima sensu lato occur on Hawaii and
they are noted for their 'thrashing' locomotion when disturbed. Pheretima
and its near relatives (Amynthas etc) are exceptional in having setae
BETWEEN the male pores (as part of a ring of setae, the perichaetine
condition (only Propheretima in eastern Australia shares that conditon). If
you see: a single midventral female pore on segment 14 (13th setigerous
segment), clitellum on segs 14-16, and setae between the male pores, on
segment 18, it will be a 'pheretimoid' (Megascolecidae).

If not, you could send it to me (ethanol preservation only, in case the DNA
is interesting!).

Yours,
Barrie Jamieson

At 10:20 PM 10/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I am interested in finding someone who may have interest in identifying
>and possibly describing a very large aquatic oligochaete that I repeatedly
>collect from mountain streams on Maui, Hawaii.

The University of Queensland, Zoology Department
Barrie Jamieson
Professor of Zoology
E-Mail : BJamieson at zoology.uq.edu.au