Capitella

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Tue Oct 19 16:26:20 EST 1999

> Townson, H., R. E. Harbach, & T. A. Callan. 1999. DNA identification of
> museum specimens of the Anopheles gambiae complex: an evaluation of
> PCR as a tool for resolving the formal taxonomy of sibling species
> complexes.— Systematic Entomology [Syst. Entomol.], 24(1):95-100.

A correspondent writes: "The main problem with using PCR determinations
on most polychaete material is that at least for recent such, it usually has
been fixed in formaldehyde ... ."

OK, then how about this .... Technology marches on, I guess.

France, S. C., & T. D. Kocher. 1996. DNA sequencing of formalin-fixed
crustaceans from archival research collections.— Molecular Marine
Biology and Biotechnology, 5(4):304-313.

Abstract: "Marine invertebrate collections have historically been maintained
in ethanol following fixation in formalin. These collections may represent
rare or extinct species or populations, provide detailed time-series samples,
or come from presently inaccessible or difficult-to-sample localities. We
have tested the viability of obtaining DNA sequence data from formalin-
fixed, ethanol-preserved (FFEP) deep-sea crustaceans, and found that
nucleotide sequences for mitochondrial 16S rRNA and COI genes can be
recovered from FFEP collections of varying age, and that these sequences
are unmodified compared to those derived from frozen specimens. These
results were repeatable among multiple specimens and collections for
several species. Our results indicate that in the absence of fresh or frozen
tissues, archived, FFEP specimens may prove a useful source of material
for analysis of gene sequence data by PCR and direct sequencing."

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>