DNA from Formalin fixed polychaete specimens

Aparna Palmer aparna at mesastate.edu
Wed Oct 20 17:31:35 EST 1999

Dear All:

Trying to get amplifiable DNA from formalin-fixed polychaete specimens
was an issue near and dear to my heart during my Ph.D.  I did attempt to
use the France and Kocher (1996) protocol as well as a number of other
protocols to get the DNA out and was always unsuccessful with the minute
polychaete specimens that I had (syllids).  So, I went ahead and designed
my own protocol--it is very simple, inexpensive and relies upon the use of
CTAB and a bit of PCR parameter manipulation.  I am in the process of
preparing the protocol for publication, but if anyone wants to give it a try,
please contact me and I will be happy to send it to you!  I was able to
extract high quality DNA and was able to get amplification (via PCR) of up
to 500 nucleotides reliably.

I can be contacted at:  aparna at mesastate.edu

Alternatively, I can be reached at the address and phone number below.

Cheers!

Aparna Palmer
Assistant Professor
Biological Sciences