DNA from Formalin fixed polychaete specimens

msatterw at lcsc.edu msatterw at lcsc.edu
Thu Oct 21 15:51:28 EST 1999

My two cents worth....

Speaking as a chemist, Formalin is highly reactive and probably
derivatizes the DNA. The extent of the derivatization probably
depends on the length of exposure, temperature in storage, the
concentration of formalin and other factors such as stabilizers, etc.
It doesn't surprise me that the results are variable, since samples
vary in size, permeability, thickness, etc. If possible you might try
sampling tissue from a more isolated section of the preserved
specimen.

msatterw at lcsc.edu