Methyl blue/ Methyl green

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Thu Oct 28 20:22:52 EST 1999

> I vaguely recall hearing that some animals produce
> characteristic patterns when these stains are used - does anyone know of
> any literature published, or is this one of those tools that gets used in-
> house only?

If Banse (1970) is any guide Methyl green staining was perhaps first used
on polychaetes by Hofsommer (1913). Brigitte Hilbig's (1996) Cossura
paper is a recent good example amongst several presenting staining
patterns.

Banse, K. 1970. The small species of Euchone Malmgren
(Sabellidae, Polychaeta).— Proceedings of the Biological Society of
Washington, 83(35):387-408.

Hofsommer, A. 1913. Die Sabelliden-Ausbeute der Poseidon-
Fahrten und die Sabelliden der Kieler Bucht.— Wissenschaftliche
Meeresuntersuchungen, Kiel, neue Folge, 15:305-364.

Hilbig, B. 1996. Family Cossuridae Day, 1963.  Pp. 385-404
in J. A. Blake, B. Hilbig and P. H. Scott (eds.), Taxonomic
Atlas of the Benthic Fauna of the Santa Maria Basin and
Western Santa Barbara Channel. Volume 6. The Annelida Part
3. Polychaeta: Orbiniidae to Cossuridae, Vol. 6, Santa
Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>