Conserved and protected worms

Rob robblakemore at
Wed Apr 19 21:43:23 EST 2000

In Australia, the Gippsland Giant Earthworm, Megascolides australis M'Coy,
has been listed as 'vulnerable' so has a conservation strategy, see:

In Tasmania, the Lake Pedder Earthworm is listed as endangered and
probably extinct due to hydro-electric impoundment of Lake Pedder (I
made an extensive survey of the Lake in 1996 and failed to re-discover this
species). I believe there are also some 'endangered' earthworms in North

<robblakemore at>