Conserved and protected worms/leeches

Serge Yu. Utevsky Serge.Yu.Utevsky at univer.kharkov.ua
Sun Apr 23 16:59:15 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to tell you about conserved and protected leeches of Ukraine.
There are 6 species listed in the Red Data Book of Ukraine:

Batracobdella algira (Moquin-Tandon, 1846),
Hirudo medicinalis Linnaeus, 1758,
Erpobdella stschegolewi Lukin et Epstein, 1960,
Archaeobdella esmonti Grimm, 1876,
Fadejewobdella quinqueannulata (Lukin, 1929),
Trocheta subviridis Dutrochet, 1817

Fadejewobdella quinqueannulata was not seen  for some 20 years in
Ukraine and adjacent regions of Russia, but we found the leech in  the
Kharkov Region in 1998.

You can see images of  Batracobdella algira and Fadejewobdella
quinqueannulata on

<http://www.univer.kharkov.ua/main/dep/biology/zoology/leech.htm>

To obtain further information on the above species please contact me.

Serge Utevsky

Department of Zoology and Animal Ecology
Kharkov National University
Kharkov 61077
UKRAINE

<Serge.Yu.Utevsky at univer.kharkov.ua>