Coral Reef Leech --- care and feeding?

Alan Eugene Davis adavis at
Sat Feb 19 01:35:01 EST 2000

My students and myself have collected a leech on a reef platform. Length
is about 2cm long when fully extended.  It tends to roll up into a coil when
left undisturbed, and displays tubercles/papillae all over it.  It was
recovered from a bucketful of various species of algae for a field  lab for
our environmental science class.  It is green/olive/brownish in color.

I seek advice as to whether this leech is likely to survive several days in a
culture dish with sea water.

Also, advice appreciated on how to anaesthetize and best method for

Alan Davis
Saipan, N. Mariana Islands

adavis at

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."    ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt),
                          or else his son, who was also a scientist.

Discuss   = annelida at      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at = un/subscribes