Sample labels

Arturo H. Ariño artarip at unav.es
Fri Jan 21 15:54:40 EST 2000

There is a specific type of printer that generates a virtually invulnerable,
"weather-proof", submersible kind of label. The medium is a white plastic
ribbon whereon black characters are printed, possibly by thermal
transfer, and then a transparent plastic layer is fused on before leaving
the printer. I saw those labels at a conference on natural science
museums back in 1992 and I believe I can dig out the poster and
manufacturer's address. I still have one sample label around here. I
remember that these printers were not cheap, though... Also I know that
they are used in libraries (for printing book location labels).

You can also try to reproduce an experiment that I started in 1982 and is
still running. I tried several types of labels in vials with different
preservative fluids. The best results came from either a sort of multi-strike
carbon ribbon such as those used then on electronic typewritters, or
from a silk ribbon from an impact needle printer which had been damped
on plain grease-type seal ink. Laser printing (as of around 1986) was
unsuitable since the characters did float away from the paper.

Regards,

A.

--
Dr. Arturo H. Ariño  <artarip at unav.es>
Assoc. Prof., Theor. Ecology

> Recently I have been having trouble with computer-generated sample
> labels.  [...]

-- ANNELIDA
Discuss   = annelida at net.bio.net      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at net.bio.net = un/subscribes