Polychaete larvae in a salt lake

Mary Ann Tiffany mgarrow at sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Fri Mar 10 16:35:58 EST 2000

Hello all,

I am studying the zooplankton of the Salton Sea in Calfornia. I am
preparing my manuscript on these critters and I have several questions
about the larvae of our polychaete, Neanthes succinea.  In reference to
abundance of these polychaete larvae I have (Myrina and Mukhailova,
1995 and Murina 1997) in the Black Sea but their numbers are a lot lower
than mine (0.135 per liter vs. mine of about 10 and as high as 60 per liter
mid-lake). Are the densities I find fairly high? Are there other records of
larval densities for these worm larvae? If you know of other references
(published or unpublished) for larval densities of this worm or similar
species in planktonic form I would really appreciate them. I also assume
that the larvae mostly feed on the abundant phytoplankton. Is this
correct?

Thank you,
Mary Ann Tiffany.
<mgarrow at sunstroke.sdsu.edu>