Davidsons solution

Matthew O'Brien MObrien at zen.uq.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 22:40:35 EST 2000

Hi everyone,

I've found a reference stating that Davidsons solution is the "preferred
fixative for marine invertebrates and produces the least shrinking of
reproductive tissue"  Has anyone else heard of and/or use this?

I can't get the reference it cites imediatley (Shaw, B.L. and Battle, H.L.
(1957).  The gross and microscopic anatomy of the digestive tract of the
oyster Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin). Can. J. Zool. 35:325-347) and
figure someone out there might know.

I'm planning on looking at reproductive state of the beachworms I am
working on (Genera: Australonuphis and Onuphis) and this may be a way
to preserve the worms without unduly effecting the size of gametes?

Oh, and if anyone knows anything about the repro of these guys, I'd be
most appreciative if you'd let me know - No point in reinventing the wheel is
there?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Matthew O'Brien,