Davidsons solution

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Mar 29 04:59:38 EST 2000

> I've found a reference stating that Davidsons solution is the "preferred
> fixative for marine invertebrates and produces the least shrinking of
> reproductive tissue"  Has anyone else heard of and/or use this?

One must be careful that there are not multiple solutions a Davidson is
responsible for. But here, from a lab technique book, is a Margaret H.
Davidson fixative for fish eggs originally in Turtox News, issue unknown:

Formalin 20%, water 30%, Glycerol 10%, Glacial acetic acid 10%,
Alcohol 30%

Fix for 24 hours and preserve in the solution minus the acetic acid.

In this case the material was destined to be paraffin embedded,
sectioned and stained for embryological cytology.

Personally I'd imagine the better known Bouin's fixative (Picric acid), of
which there are several variants, would do just fine for general purpose
histology.

--
   Geoff Read <gread at actrix.gen.nz>

-- ANNELIDA