slime trails

Geoff Read at
Tue Nov 28 18:04:47 EST 2000

Juergen Schieber wrote:

>  From my readings I gather that polychates are typically covered with a
> mucous coating

I think some produce it when they need to.

> and that some also live in mucous stabilized tubes in the
> sediment.

> Do errant polychates leave behind a sediment trail while they
> move through the sediment (say a layer of sand)?

Many errants may well be living in permanent burrows and  not be quite so
random wanderers as that sentence suggests.  Any movement through
sediment leaves a trace which lasts until the next disturbance.  There are
papers about with X-rays of sediment profiles.

> And if so, is there any
> literature discussing this and about the longevity of the slime trails once
> the worm has moved on?  The question has relevance for observations in
> bioturbated sandstones.

Yes. But a geologist probably knows the track & trail & ichnology &
lebensspuren literature fairly well.  If there is some particular need for info
on the mucus residue aspect please clarify.

  Geoff Read < at>